HEFT Repository

Drug-Eluting Balloon in the Treatment of In-Stent Restenosis and Diffuse Coronary Artery Disease: Real-World Experience from Our Registry.

Basavarajaiah, Sandeep and Latib, Azeem and Shannon, Joanne and Naganuma, Toru and Sticchi, Alessandro and Bertoldi, Letizia and Costopoulos, Charis and Figini, Filippo and Carlino, Mauro and Chieffo, Alaide and Montorfano, Matteo and Colombo, Antonio (2014) Drug-Eluting Balloon in the Treatment of In-Stent Restenosis and Diffuse Coronary Artery Disease: Real-World Experience from Our Registry. Journal of interventional cardiology, 27 (4). pp. 348-355. ISSN 1540-8183.

Full text not available from this repository.
Official URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joic.12...

Abstract

OBJECTIVES

To report a single-center experience of drug-eluting balloons (DEB) in the treatment of in-stent restenosis (ISR) and de novo coronary artery disease.

BACKGROUND

DEB are emerging as an alternative treatment for coronary stenosis especially when metal scaffolding is undesirable (in-stent restenosis and small-vessel de novo disease). Although there are various randomized trials and registry studies, the data from real-world cohorts are lacking.

METHODS

Consecutive patients treated with the In.Pact Falcon™ (Medtronic Inc., Minneapolis, MN, USA) paclitaxel-eluting balloon between January 2009 and December 2011 were retrospectively studied. The measured end-points were cardiac death, myocardial infarction (MI), target lesion revascularization (TLR), target vessel revascularization (TVR), and major adverse cardiac events (MACE) defined as combination of cardiac death, MI, and TVR.

RESULTS

A total of 275 lesions were successfully treated in 184 patients. The mean age was 66.2 ± 9.6 years, and 87% were males. The predominant indication for DEB use was ISR (62%), with de novo lesions accounting for the remainder (38%). A mean of 1.48 ± 0.9 DEB were used per patient. Bailout stenting was required in 24% of lesions. The median clinical follow-up was 14.6 months (IQR 12-23). The overall rates of cardiac death, MI, TLR, TVR, and MACE were 3.8%, 1.6%, 16.8%, 17.9%, and 21.7%, respectively. The overall rate of stent thrombosis was 0.5% (n = 1).

CONCLUSION

Our results suggests that DEB can be considered in lesions where the use of stents is not desirable, especially restenotic lesions. Further long-term follow-up of these patients will provide us more insights on the long-term outcomes.

Item Type: Article
Subjects: WG Cardiovascular system. Cardiology
Divisions: Emergency Services > Cardiology
Related URLs:
Depositing User: Mrs Yolande Brookes
Date Deposited: 18 Aug 2014 13:35
Last Modified: 18 Aug 2014 13:35
URI: http://www.repository.heartofengland.nhs.uk/id/eprint/491

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item